Sunday, May 4, 2014

Sunday Memphis, PM

David had a time of 4:43 in the morning race and finished in 49th position.  After we got groceries out of the back seat and set the suspension correctly, his time in the afternoon race was 4:24 and finished in 41st place.  He’s really starting to have fun at it now that he’s getting more experience.

Keith did the drag races.  In the first race, I was lined up a against a GT-R.  I had a great start off the line and thru 1st and 2nd gear.  My next shift was ‘clean’ but ended up in 5th.  (I’m pretty sure that 3rd would have been better…..).  Anyway I finished with a 15.228 seconds which was good for 41st place overall.  That first race did not include my ‘reaction time’, which is the difference between when the light turns green, and the car actually trips the laser light.  My reaction time was.353, which I thought was pretty good for my first time.  I don’t know what happened to the GTR, because he was still at the starting line when I finished.

The second drag race is called a ‘bracket elimination’.  The idea is to ‘predict’ you next overall time from the green light to the finish line.  The car who comes the closest to their ‘dial-in’ time wins, unless they go faster than they predicted, which is called a ‘break out’.  I knew I could go a bunch faster, if I re-read the numbers on the shift knob, but really didn’t know how figure how much that might be.  If I just added my previous “ET” and reaction time, it would have been 15.581.  I guessed at 14.7 seconds.  I was put up against a Corvette with a dial-in of  13 seconds which meant that I got a 1.7 second ‘head start’.  I ended up running a 14.883, which was .183 seconds off my guess.  He ran a 13.149 which was .149 off so he beat me by 0.034 seconds.  My reaction time for that run .544 which was .191 seconds slower than the first run.  Had I been that much faster on the second run I’d have ‘broken out by 0.008 seconds anyway…….

Right now we’re in 6th place in SSGT-2 Small Bore (also last….) and 49th place over-all.  We’re getting better, but so is everyone else.  We’re having a great time, and are tying to compete, it just that we’re not so serious about it since Curt’s not here.


Right now we’re on a 410 mile run to NOLA Motorsports Park, south of New Orleans.  We could get there between and 9 and 10PM which would be great.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work fellas! Looking forward to hearing how tomorrow goes!

    ReplyDelete